Friday, June 21, 2013

Miami Heat 2013 Champions - Lebron James Played Like The Champion He Is

My thoughts of Lebron James and his performance

Another basketball season wrapped up yesterday with the Miami Heat winning back to back years. I have been a basketball fan since I started watching basketball in college. I immediately became involved in every aspect of the sport and regretted not watching it since I was a kid. The one thing I do miss is hearing how people just sat back and watched the magnificent career of Michael Jordan. Watching NBA TV classic game or YouTube highlight reels to me is probably 1% in compared to watching him play live. This morning I realized that I get to be in that type of position now. When I started watching it was during the Kobe/Duncan era and then this young kid from Akron that was revered at the chosen one came in and has delivered. I am not comparing Michael Jordan to Lebron James, I realize that there is no way that James can do the things the MJ did and will never have the same competitive attitude that made Jordan such a phenomenon. But I do get to watch him from his first season to hopefully his last and say “I was there” that I got to watch him in person Game 7 of the ECF in 2012 and that he has made me a huge fan of the game.


With the success of the Miami Heat I can tell many GMs are changing how they try to build their teams, same goes for some coaches that try to build not just a great basketball team but a basketball team that can beat the Heat. We saw the NY Knicks think they came up with the answer for the Heat but had tunnel vision and didn't realize the powerhouse the Indiana Pacers are. Yes I stand here to make the prediction that if the Pacers keep all their starters next year and make a few upgrades to their roster they may be the kryptonite to the super team in Miami. At this point in time Miami can only get worse, it sounds harsh but if you look at every member that contributed to this championship is on the back-end of their prime. Mike Millers back is ready to go, Ray Allen will retire now with his amazing resume, and Wade has issues that are either his knees or he has put his skills on cruise control till light is shed on how poorly he is playing.


With the 2013 NBA season wrapped up I look back and see two things. One is the amazingly talented veterans that are finishing their careers strong like “Papa” Duncan and Kobe “Vino” Bryant. I grew up watching them and thank them for showing me what basketball was all about. Those two teams created a window of dominance that even Lebron by himself could not peek out of. Once he joined the Heat we saw this window closing for the Kobe/Duncan era. But is it Lebrons era now? I personally would like it to be, he is transcending and the way he plays is beyond anything you see now. I think he can do it and probably will but not with the current roster of the Heat. Big upgrades and rebuilding need to come and as a Lebron fan I can say that Pat Riley is the man to put it together (no other man can take you to the promise land like Pat Riley)

No comments:

Post a Comment